The newest additions to our bedroom were inspired by this gold leaf bird art at Wayfair. I fell in love after seeing it on Pinterest, and fell quickly out after I saw the $300 price tag… But, determined to get a similar look, I DIYed these gold leaf bird art paintings.
I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. Most importantly they add a needed touch of decor to the nightstand in our bedroom. I’ve been searching the thrift stores for a lamp to add to the mix as well. (I’m always searching for another project…) And…. I have another project in the works for the nightstand coming soon, so stay tuned!
When the light casts on them just right, they are very shiny! (Yay :)) But when it is dark, they tend to blend into the background paper… (not yay…) Haven’t come up for a solution for this yet, I suppose I will refrain from admiring them except for certain hours of the day. 😉
Now for the details and tutorial….
DIY Gold Leaf Bird Art How To
- Colored cardstock paper (I used scrapbook paper in a natural Kraft color)
- White cardstock paper
- Gold leaf paint (I bought Precious Metals in 18k Gold at Hobby Lobby)
- Bird silhouette
- Cut a white piece of cardstock to the size of your frame as your background. Then determine how big you want your colored cardstock and cut accordingly (I used 1.5″ margins on all sides)
- Find your bird silhouette and cut it out. I googled ‘free bird silhouette’ Then lightly trace the silhouette onto your colored cardstock.
- Begin filling in your outlined bird with the gold leaf paint. Be generous! This stuff seeps into the paper. I had to do several coats to get the desired look.
- Glue your art to the background cardstock and frame! Now you have designer gold leaf bird art at a bargain price 🙂