Yet another room in our home now has curtains! Hooray 🙂 It’s little finishing touches like this that really make me feel like we’re making progress. This was a fairly simple DIY (and the simple ones are always the complicated ones too, aren’t they?)
I was inspired by these gorgeous curtains from Design Manifest. I loved the pop of color and how incredibly subtle it was! Mine didn’t turn out quite as subtle, but I did try and fold my ribbon around the bottom edge for that effect like in the pic below.
So I started by cutting down some of the plywood I had leftover from the workbench. Then I attempted to screw/nail the pieces together (I think they are 10″ tall and the side pieces are 8″). When I say attempted… I failed to screw them together as the wood kept splitting. Then, I managed to kinda nail them together.. they still wobble a little. I definitely regret not recruiting Jake to help with this part!
I was going to buy batting to uphoslter the box with, but during an IKEA trip I spied a twin duvet is the AS-IS section for only $3, so I decided to use that.
I stapled on my duvet batting with my handy dandy staple gun. One of these days I’m going to figure out how to use our pneumatic stapler and make my hands a lot happier with me.
I bought the standard white IKEA curtains and got one extra set to upholster the pelmet boxes with. Word to the wise: iron the fabric before you staple it onto the box…. I missed that one.
Once the boxes were upholstered I hot glued my kelly green ribbon to the top and bottom making sure I had enough to fold over and cover the edges.
I did recruit Jake to assist me in installing the curtains and pelmet box. Turns out they were much more difficult than anticipated… Isn’t funny how flooring seems like a breeze to us now, but installing curtains, now that’s a tough one! 😉
After they were hung, I hemmed the curtains and glued on the ribbon. Any suggestions for a good craft/fabric glue?? The one I got was awful and took 24 hours to dry and still shows some…. Frustrating. (notice there are no pics of the other window? shhh.. that’s because I haven’t figured out how to glue the ribbon to those curtains yet without making another mess)
I think they pop nicely against our gray walls. I can’t wait to get that sectional upholstered in navy. Then we’ll have some really fun jewel tones going on in there. You can notice above, we still to install baseboard, and then this room will be finished! (Well, the shell at least, there always plenty of decorating to do 🙂 )
Little by little we are putting the human touches onto our fixer upper, and it’s going to be a beautiful home 🙂 I already have a few more ideas for this room floating around in my head. But, right now the focus shifts back to our half bath, because we finished tiling it last weekend!!! What a relief, I can’t wait to finish everything up and reveal the space to you 🙂 Until next time, happy Thursday!
Linking up at: Think and Make Thursday, the Handmade Hangout, Found & Foraged, Your Designs This Time, Frugal Crafty Blog Hop, Work it Wednesday, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, The Inspiration Gallery, Tutorials & Tips